BUTTERNUT & LENTIL COTTAGE PIE (6 portions)
With the added lentils and butternut instead of the traditional potatoes, you have a healthy winner.
4 tsp (20 ml) olive or canola oil
500 g lean beef or ostrich mince
2 onions, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
250 g mushrooms, chopped
2 tsp (10 ml) dried mixed herbs
1 tsp (5 ml) ground coriander
2 tsp (10 ml) mild mustard
1 x 410 g tin chopped tomatoes
½ cup (125 ml) strong Rooibos tea
½ cup (125 ml) red lentils
lemon juice and black pepper to taste
750 g butternut, peeled and cubed
¼ tsp (1,2 ml) salt
- Heat half the oil in a large saucepan and fry mince until brown. Spoon out.
- Heat remaining oil in the same pan and fry onions, carrots and mushrooms until soft. Add mixed herbs, coriander, mustard, mince and tomatoes. Reduce the heat and simmer over a low heat, with a lid, for 20 minutes.
- Add tea and lentils and simmer with the lid for another 15-20 minutes or until lentils have softened. Season well with lemon juice and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ˚C. Meanwhile, place butternut and salt in a pot with ¾ cup (180 ml) water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until just soft. Drain well and lightly mash or crush with a fork. Season with lemon juice and black pepper.
- Spoon mince mixture into an oven dish, spread butternut on top in an even layer. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden
brown and heated through.
- Serve with green veggies like pan-fried or steamed broccoli and baby marrow, season with fresh herbs and lemon juice or fill you plate with a tomato salad.
Substitute half the broccoli with cauliflower, if preferred.